Works by Raymond Thériault celebrate the outer structure of our modern urban landscape: concrete and glass, bricks and stonework, curbs and doorways. The artist has made each of his landscapes a place you want to walk into and explore, a place where you want to spend time or lose yourself. Though they capture but a moment in time, these paintings are meant to be browsed through and savoured slowly.
While some of the works concentrate on the interplay between architecture and the human presence, there are also evocative touches of portraiture and still life among this collection, displaying the artist’s versatility and variety of style. There are day scenes and alluring images after nightfall.
After completing his first year at the University of Lethbridge, Raymond graduated from the Fine Arts program at the University of Alberta. In his over 25 years as a professional artist, he has had 12 solo exhibitions and numerous group and juried shows. In 1994, Raymond was awarded first prize in the national Visual Arts Competition by the Department of Canadian Heritage. A member of the Alberta Society of Artists, he has taught figure drawing at Harcourt House in Edmonton and illustrated bilingual textbooks published in Montreal. Raymond is also a former president of the Alberta Society of Artists.
In addition to galleries in Alberta and British Columbia, Raymond’s work can be found in the permanent collections of several major corporations, such as Suncor and Canadian Utilities, in law offices such as Ernst & Young and Bennet Jones Verchère, as well as in numerous private collections throughout the world.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2017 – Urbanscapes – Feb. 23 – March 15, Grant Berg Gallery, Grande Prairie, AB
- 2016 – Urban Vistas – Oct. 22 – Nov. 15, The Collectors’ Gallery of Art, Calgary AB
- 2016 – Urban Views – June 30 – Aug. 30, Southern Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary AB
- 2011 – Urban Harmony – Sept. 10 – 30, The Collectors’ Gallery of Art
- 2007 – New Works – Nov. 17 – Dec. 1, Kensington Fine Art, Calgary AB
- 2006 – Raymond Thériault: Paintings and Drawings – June 3 – 14, 2006 – The Front Gallery, Edmonton, AB
- 2005 – Urban View – Nov. 17 – Dec. 1, 2005 – Kensington Fine Art, Calgary AB
- 2003 – Spices – Oct. 25-Nov. 7, 2003 – Kensington Fine Art, Calgary AB
- 2001 – A Night on the Town – Kensington Fine Arts Gallery, Calgary AB
- 1999 – Urban Poems – Kensington Fine Arts Gallery, Calgary AB
- 1999 – Paintings by Raymond Thériault – Ziegler Hughes Gallery, Edmonton AB
- 1997 – The Bicycle Rider and other Stories – Kensington Fine Arts Gallery, Calgary AB
- 1996 – Early in the Evening – Kensington Fine Arts Gallery, Calgary AB
- 1994 – New Paintings – Kensington Fine Arts Gallery, Calgary AB
- 1992 – Exhibition of Paintings – Londonderry Mall, Edmonton AB
- 1988 – Landscape and Still Life – Cranbrook Railway Museum, Cranbrook, BC